History
St. Gerard was founded in September of 1945 by the School Sisters of Notre Dame. At that time, through the generosity of Mr. Harrison Carr, the office building of the United Gas Pipe Line Company served as a temporary school until the new combination church and school building was completed in 1946. The school began with grades one through eight, and each classroom housed 70-90 students because of the sharp increases in enrollment each year. St. Gerard was the only Catholic school within a ten mile radius at that time.

A survey of the cumulative records dating back to the 40s and 50s clearly indicates that the student body consisted of Catholic children from blue-collar plant workers and local business families. Enrollment for the 1945-46 school year was 293 and subsequently increased each year until enrollment reached it greatest number of 2,124 for the 1960-61 school year.

The cafeteria was constructed in 1953, the permanent convent was completed in 1955, and new classrooms were added above the cafeteria in 1956. Upon completion of the new church in 1957, the parish began to convert the first floor of the school building into classrooms, finishing in 1958.

From 1960 through 1965, four other Catholic elementary schools opened nearby which at the time relieved the overcrowding in the classrooms.

In 1963, the school divided into a K-6th grade elementary school and a Junior High School, also adding to the elementary school the Madonna Center, which is a two room unit facility that currently houses the Special Education classrooms.

The School Sisters of Notre Dame, called to minister elsewhere to a poorer population, left the school after the 1984-85 school year.

The school added pre-k for the 1985-86 school year but discontinued it in 1989. Pre-k was reinstated for the 1998-1999 school year and remains today.

Today our Pastor is Fr. Marcel Okwara.

From the school’s inception, dedicated Sisters and lay teachers along with generous parishioners built a familial community and a tradition of educational excellence. Although the average age of the small number of parishioners today is in the upper 70 years old range, and even though there are very few in-parish Catholics enrolled in the school, there remains a strong love for St. Gerard and its tradition.